Sunday, June 21, 2009

Turkey Hunting

This spring Patrick and I went Turkey Hunting up in Kiabab. My first time going hunting with a tag and not as a cheerleader. The night before opening day we scouted but ended up stuck in the snow for over an hour high centered, Pat in shorts and a short sleeve shirt, and we actually found it humorous which has not been our past experiences stuck in the snow. It was FREEZING cold and INSANELY windy which as we found out is perfect weather for NOT finding turkey. Not for a lack of trying however we got up at the crack of dawn, hiked all up and down steep slopes, sat for hours still as we could against trees calling and calling, road hunted, and even pulled out the blind, but the turkey had the upper hand.

What I learned from the trip.


1. I can easily get addicted to anything that involves competition. (The turkey may have gotten the upper hand this time but next year they are mine)
2. I can survive in a tent when the weather is in the teens.

3. I love spending time in the outdoors.

4. I feel pretty lucky that my husband actually wants me to go hunting with him and doesn't use it as a time to get away from me.

5. It is possible for two people to shower in a tent, in freezing weather, in a bucket, with one gallon of water. (Hair and all)

6. I love that my husband and I love that we can still laugh together over nothing. And we both think we are funnier than the other.

7. Thank heavens for family. (Thanks Kennedy's for keeping the kids)

8. Hand woven native rugs are crazy expensive.

9. Never eat breakfast at the lodge in Jacob's lake...Seriously don't.

10. LIFE IS GOOD!!


4 comments:

Guymon Family said...

She's ALIVE!!!!! Holy cow, I actually thought I was looking in vain, but alas a new post. Spoken from a total blogging slacker too so don't be offended! Like you haven't had anything better to do I'm sure. You are such a crazy busy girl, It makes me stressed out thinking about your stresses. How are things going BTW? We miss you guys like crazy! If you ever need a break come and stay!!! We have a whole basement with a finished bathroom and full kitchen, and Chris just got a hot tub for Father's day! I'm pretty sure it's got your name on it! We would so come down there, but I have a feeling that would just add to your stress level! I'm sooo glad you guys got away even if you had to hunt turkeys to no avail to do it! We love you guys and miss you like crazy ( I think I said that already but it's true)!

The Herberts said...

You guys are the best!!! We are so lucky to have you in our lives and get to live so close! You always make the best of every situation! It sounds like it was a BLAST! It's crazy to think you're a hunter...after all, I knew you in your previous life! He He He

Taylor Family said...

Yipppeeekkkkyyyyyaaaaaayyy!!!! It's good to see you blog and to read your top 10 things you learned while turkey hunting. I love how much fun you and Pat have together. You are crazy funny Cami.....I just love ya! I'm glad you got some down time to blog. You are my hero!!!

Angela said...

Thanks to you and this turkey trip, Adam has now signed me up for hunters safety...Oh yeah and you are way funnier than Pat;)